9 months 535 dead, 111 wounded in Congo attack Manilatimes |World
A preliminary UN investigation into a massacre reportedly carried out in western Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) last month, revealed that at least 535 civilians were killed in four attacks, the UN Mission in the country, MONUSCO, said on Wednesday. In mid-January, UN Human Rights chief Michelle Bachelet, said that according to “credible reports,” hundreds of villagers from the four communities in Yumbi, had been killed during inter-ethnic clashes between the Banunu and Batende communities, during several days, beginning on December 16. The initial investigation conducted by the Joint UN Human Rights Office (UNJHRO), attached to the mission, has ... more