2 weeks Shellfish poisoning sends entire family to hospital, kills 2 boys in Samar town Inquirer
TACLOBAN CITY---Two boys died of shellfish poisoning, associated with red tide, in the town of Daram, Samar province on Tuesday (Sept. 15). The fatalities, aged 3 and 8, ate green mussels, or tahong, with other members of their family, according to the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR). All of them suffered from abdominal pains, vomiting, numbness, and difficulty of breathing. They were brought by neighbors to the Catbalogan Doctors Hospital in Catbalogan City, also in Samar, around 11:30 p.m. The two boys, however, did not survive. The BFAR cautioned residents of Daram against gathering, selling and consuming tahong ... more